Dr. A.K. Lohani
Scientist 'G' & Head
Surface Water Hydrology Division
National Institute of Hydrology
Roorkee – 247667 (Uttarakhand), India
Surface Water Hydrology Division (SWHD) is carrying out several R&D projects on various aspects of surface water hydrology. The thrust areas of research are:
- Hydrological and Hydrodynamic Modelling
- Flood Inundation Modelling and Flood Hazard Assessment
- Snow and Glacier Melt Monitoring and Modelling
- Design Flood Estimation
- Drought Mitigation and Management
- Water Availability Analysis and Environmental Flow Requirement
- Urban Hydrology and Watershed Management
- Climate Change Impact Assessment
The division is also carrying out various sponsored and consultancy studies and coordinating several technology-transfer activities, viz. training, workshop, seminar, symposia etc
The division collaborates with various academic, industrial and R&D organizations including CWC, CGWB, GFCC, IMD, IITM, NHPC, CPCB, DST, NPCIL, NTPC, NSPCL, THDC, IITs, GMDA, RVNL, VMC, AUD, NEEPCO, NGPC, Water Resources Departments (WRD) of states, etc.
Vision & Mission:
- To undertake, aid, promote and coordinate systematic and scientific work on various aspects of surface water hydrology.
- Providing leadership in hydrologic research through comprehensive understanding and modelling of various hydrologic processes dealing with surface water hydrology for optimal planning, development and management of the water resources for sustainable development and well being of the society.